The Plant Science Learning Hub aims to provide educators with information relevant to the area of plant science being explored.
Here you will find:
- teacher notes
- lesson plans
- field kits
- case studies and articles
- a variety of other resources.
Discover resources sorted by module or search using key words.
- Life cycles|Years 4-6Plant Life Cycles Field Kit
This Field Kit contains hands-on, outdoor activities related to plant life cycles.Tags:Flowering plantBotanic GardenFlower
- Life cycles|Years 4-6Plant Life Cycles Field Kit Teacher Support PowerPoint Presentation
Use this presentation to print resources for activity 2 in the Plant Life Cycles Field Kit.Tags:FlowerFlowering plantNative plant
- Life cycles|Years 4-6Plant Life Cycles Lesson 1 - Learning about Australian native plants
In this lesson, students learn about Australian native plants and the role of a botanic garden.Tags:Native plantBotanic GardenFlowering plant
- Life cycles|Years 4-6Plant Life Cycles Lesson 2 - Learning about the life cycle of flowering plants
Learn about the life cycle stages of a generalised flowering plant as well as several specific Australian plants. Compare the differences and similarities between the life cycles of flowering plants and animals.Tags:Flowering plantFlowerSeed
- Life cycles|Years 4-6Plant Life Cycles Lesson 3 - Collecting and dissecting seeds
In this lesson students can use a pair of socks to find seeds in their local area. Students will also dissect and identify the parts of a seed and test their classification skills.Tags:SeedlingPlant structureSeed
- Life cycles|Years 4-6Plant Life Cycles Teachers' Notes
This document provides educators with supporting notes for the Plant Life Cycles module. In this document, we look at the life cycle stages of Australian native plants as well as the processes and triggers needed to move between life cycle stages.Tags:ReproductionBotanic GardenFlowering plant
- Life cycles|Years 4-6Plant Life Cycles Video 1
Meet a seed scientist and discover the life cycle of a flowering plant, from a seed to seedling.Tags:SeedlingFlowerReproduction
- Life cycles|Years 4-6Plant Life Cycles Video 2
Learn about the life cycle of a flowering plant from seedling to seed dispersal. Listen to one of our horticulturalists explore the different life cycle stages of a plant in the Australian National Botanic Gardens' Nursery.Tags:SeedReproductionFlowering plant
- Plant structure|Years 4-6Plant Structure Field Kit
A full suite of outdoor activities related to plant structure. Collect specimens and then decide whether to press them, draw them, dissect them, or all three!Tags:Plant structureFlowering plantFlower
- Plant structure|Years 4-6Plant Structure Lesson 1 - Plant parts detectives
Learn the names and functions of different plant parts, from roots to flowers. Create an anchor chart, a word wall and create your own plant.Tags:Plant structureFlowering plantFlower
- Plant structure|Years 4-6Plant Structure Lesson 2 - Function of stem, roots and leaves
Explore the anatomy of plants and how they use the vascular system in their roots, stem and leaves to transport water and nutrients. Design an investigation to demonstrate the function of each of the structural elements of a plant. Examine case studies and explore photosynthesis.Tags:Plant structureFlowerNative plant
- Plant structure|Years 4-6Plant Structure Lesson 3 - Parts of a flower
Deconstruct a flower to discover all its amazing parts. Design and create your own flower to demonstrate your knowledge.Tags:Plant structureFlowerFlowering plant
- Plant structure|Years 4-6Plant Structure Teachers' Notes
Background information for educators about plant structure. From roots to flowers, explore the structure and function of our native Australian plants.Tags:Plant structureFlowering plantNative plant
- Plant structure|Years 4-6Plant Structure Video 1
Discover the names and functions of plant parts from roots to flowers. Visit the Australian National Herbarium to learn how botanists use this knowledge.Tags:Plant structureFlowering plantFlower
- Pollination|Years 4-6Pollination Field Kit
Use these hands-on activities to discover pollination. Pollinate a flower by hand, complete a pollinator habitat survey of your local area and build a bee hotel.
- Pollination|Years 4-6Pollination Lesson 1 - Pollination overview
Myth bust some common pollination misconceptions, describe why and how pollination occurs and discover some of the features of pollinators that assist in the pollination process.
- Pollination|Years 4-6Pollination Lesson 2 - Plant and pollinator relationships
Identify animal pollinators and understand why we need to care for them. Explore which plant structures pollinators are attracted to and why. Discover a range of adaptations that plants use to attract pollinators then design and create your own plant and pollinator.
Tags:PollinationPollination syndromePlant structure
- Pollination|Years 4-6Pollination Lesson 3 - Pollinator habitats
What makes a garden pollinator friendly? Complete a survey on your local area and design a garden optimised for pollination using Australian native plants. Learn how to take actions to help ensure the survival of our pollinators and design a minibeast hotel.Tags:PollinationPollinatorPollination syndrome
- Pollination|Years 4-6Pollination Teachers Notes
What is pollination and how does it work? Background notes for educators outlining everything you need to know to teach pollination to your students.Tags:PollinationReproductionPollinator
- Pollination|Years 4-6Pollination Video 1
Discover pollination, pollinators and how the amazing process of pollination works.Tags:PollinationPollinatorPollination syndrome
- Seeds|Years 4-6Seeds Field Kit
Experience what it's like to run your own seed collecting field trip! Learn about how seed scientists plan and undertake seed collection, devise a plan for your own field trip and decide what you will do with your seed collection once they are prepared for storage.Tags:SeedBotanic GardenNative plant
- Seeds|Years 4-6Seeds Lesson 1 - Seeds and seed banks
How do you identify a seed and a fruit? what is the difference? Learn about the anatomy of different seeds, explore the purpose of conservation seed banks and discover what Seed Scientists do.
Tags:SeedBotanic GardenPlant structure
- Seeds|Years 4-6Seeds Lesson 2 - Seed adaptations and dispersal methods
How are seeds dispersed into new areas? Learn about the features of seeds that aid dispersal and then create your own wind dispersed seed to test.Tags:SeedPlant structureNative plant
- Seeds|Years 4-6Seeds Lesson 3 - Seeds and their needs
Seed germination, what is it and what can affect it? Test seed viability and conduct your own viability and quality tests on seeds. Explore germination strategies and what might affect germination of different seeds.Tags:SeedNative plantBotanic Garden
- Seeds|Years 4-6Seeds Teachers' Notes
Explore background information on seeds, seed structures, anatomy of a seed and more. Everything you need to know to teach your students the Seeds module.Tags:SeedBotanic GardenPlant structure
- Seeds|Years 4-6Seeds Video 1
Explore the inside and outside of different seeds. Discover the amazing world of seed dispersal and discover why seeds come in all kinds of weird and wacky shapes.Tags:SeedPlant structureNative plant
The Plant Science Learning Hub
Start at Plant Life Cycles or skip ahead to Seeds, the Plant Science Learning Hub is designed to be adaptable to your requirements as an educator. All activities can be done individually or in sequence as part of a learning journey. The Plant Science Learning Hub is a dynamic educational platform so keep checking back to see what’s new!